Thursday, September 21, 2017

Every Single Thing I Did This Summer

A bus stop in between nowhere and nowhere, Khulo.
So it was summer and I’m a school teacher… so I didn’t have to do anything, right? No. Despite many warnings that I would be bored out of my mind during these last two months (I arrived at site on July 7th and school started on September 15th), I was very busy.

My host sister Diana & I by the very historical bridge near my house.
The main thing I was busy with was ~*integrating*~ into my community, which overlapped with the other main thing, work. Peace Corps likes to tell us that this is a 24/7 position, in which we are constantly working towards the three goals of PC: supplying qualified people to address the country’s needs (in my case, an English teacher), representing and teaching about the United States, teaching Americans about Georgia, and the PC way of doing those three things focuses heavily on integration. Integration basically means being accepted as a member of your community, and being able to use that position to stay safe, content, and effective. And of course, a large part of being able to integrate comes from learning to speak the language, so I have been studying Georgian for an hour a day on my own, and trying not hard enough to find a tutor. In addition to that, I spend a fair amount of time drinking coffee with my host mom and grandmother, doing yoga with my host sister (everyday!), wandering around my area, and picking fruit in one of the family’s many gardens/fields/vegetable gardens/other fields (I know how to name all of these in Georgian).

Learning how to make compote, a fruit drink, from my host mother.
Aside from all of that integration, I also had work duties. The week after arriving the new Keda volunteers and our counterparts were invited to help out at a camp organized by the local Education Resource Center, were the supervisor of all of Keda’s schools works along with a bunch of other people and a Peace Corps Response (PCR) volunteer. The camp was mostly planned before we got there, but it was a good opportunity to work with my counterpart, other volunteers, and some locals interested in education. My counterpart and I were responsible for the daily reading hour, which was perhaps not the most exciting camp activity, but the students seemed relatively engaged. I also helped out at another volunteer’s summer school later in the summer, where I taught a lesson and activity related to hobbies and taught a lot of extremely useful vocabulary, like “bird-watching” and “cacti.” My final collaboration for the year was at another volunteer’s girls basketball camp, where, thankfully, I was responsible for taking photographs and not playing basketball.

Keda Camp students with posters they made about (a very abridged version of) The Tempest
Another big side project of mine is GLOW, short for Girls Leading Our World. GLOW is an NGO started by PCVs that is slowly moving towards being Georgian led, and deals with girl’s empowerment through summer camps and conferences. I was selected to be on the grants & finance committee with a G16, and will be writing grants and dealing with other aspects of GLOW’s finances. This summer I also had the opportunity to attend one of GLOW’s two camps, and worked with a group of 7 girls over the course of the week. It was a very interesting experience, and I really enjoyed getting to know the girls and the Georgian counselors, who are all university students close to my age. At the camp girls learn about a very wide variety of topics that are minimally covered in Georgian schools,


We made a bunch of cheesy posteri to decorate for GLOW

A found supply fashion show! The fish dress didn't win but it should have.
Me, Analise, and Cherish, some of the G17 GLOW team.
Another thing that kept was busy was the 15 hour summer camp that all first-year volunteers are obliged to hold at their school. Mine was 3 hours a day over the course of 5 days, and required 3 or 4 planning meetings with my counterpart and director beforehand and a trip to Batumi to buy supplies. Our camp was an English camp with a focus on environmentalism, with an hour of English, an hour of environmental education, and an hour of active activities planned for each day. As with so many things, much did not go according to plan but I would still call it an overall success. My counterpart took the lead for most of the English lessons, teaching more formal grammar content while I provided some games and fun activities. I led sessions on environmentalism, pollution, and appreciating nature and also made the children pick up trash with only small amounts of candy bribery. We also played volleyball, went on a poorly planned hike to a very beautiful but also very distant waterfall, and had a potluck picnic at the historical bridge nearby, featuring a lot of potatoes and some wildly dangerous bridge jumping.


The English part of camp, featuring my classroom & one of my counterparts, Nineli.
A nature appreciation activity that even my director, Inga, got excited about.
They were already tired, and none of us knew how much hike there still was to go...
But also! Who knew such a beautiful & giant waterfall was here?
I spent a lot of the picnic picking up trash and putting it into a trash bag that someone else took away from the site, but the next time I walked to school I saw that it had been thrown on the side of the road into my host family’s field. It was very disappointing, because I felt as though nothing that I said during the five hours that week when we had talked about environmentalism and appreciated nature had gotten through. I couldn’t bring myself to pick it all up again. It’s still sitting there, every time I walk by. Maybe I’ll bring a bag down tomorrow, now that everyone who reads my blog knows it’s there too. And then I will try to teach it again, but differently, and try to remember what was said to me to make me care.


One weird picnic picture, and then all of my devices died and I went swimming.
I am also on a Peace Corps committee called the Diversity Working Group, which deals with issues related to volunteer diversity. We are still figuring out what exactly we are going to do for the next year, but we are hoping to provide opportunities for PCVs and PC staff to talk about their experiences, learn from each other, and learn about diversity related issues. Our last meeting was in Borjomi, which was a nice place to meet.


Olivia (a DWG member) & Annie, the education volunteer lucky enough to live in Borjomi.
Finally, during the month of September teachers are required to go to school every day, so I went too. Generally they seemed to prepare a little and chat a lot, but it was a good opportunity to get to know some of my new co-workers and use the school’s wifi before school started. Everyone usually stayed for about one or two hours around 11-12, and sometimes there was coffee and snacks. I was told to be there at 10 but nobody else was ever there that early. I kept coming at 10 because the weather was nicer for walking and I can get a fair amount of work done in a silent building with wifi that restricts access to social media and video content.


My school, decorated for camp.
Plus I’ve been trying to study a little Arabic everyday so I don’t forget it all and studying for various exams and also trying to learn English since apparently I teach that now.


I also went to a surprise funeral with all of my coworkers. I thought I was going on an excursion, but no. There was still hiking involved.
In addition to all of that important work stuff, I’ve also been able to see a little bit more of Georgia, though I need to work faster if I want to see it all before I leave.


A view of deep Shuakhevi, the neighboring region, from the funeral.
The first place I visited was Vaio, my friend Cherish’s site. I had to stay because my last marshutka is at around 8:30pm and I had been invited to a birthday dinner. Her house is at the end of an hour-long hike that you only usually get a ride for half of, but it is a beautiful village and her host family is extremely sweet, so it’s worth the trek.


The aforementioned birthday feast, pizza in the foreground :D
The view from Cherish's house~
Cherish, her host mom, and a host aunt visiting from Russia.
The next place I visited was Zvare, my friend Jenna's old site. We just went for the day, to hike, swim, and visit her host family, but it was lovely.

Jenna's ex-host-dogs
More lush Adjaran forest views
Post-swim snacks with Daniel, Jenna, and Jenna's host brother.
My first real trip was to Borjomi, for the DWG meeting. Borjomi is known for being home to the favorite mineral water brand of the Soviet Union, also called Borjomi. While I don’t dislike it, it’s not my brand of choice (more on that later). Two of us stayed in a very nice guesthouse overlooking the city that we happened upon after our reserved one seemed to be unoccupied by any staff members. Guesthouse #2 had a pleasantly all-female environment, with Olivia and I, two backpackers, and two women who lived there. While I feel very comfortable at my host family’s home, it’s nice to be able to make your morning coffee without a bra on. The morning after our meeting we went to some hot spring pools in the Borjomi park that I had read about. They turned out to be rather far down a path through the woods, though that hadn’t stopped the masses from getting there. We had met up with one of the volunteers in Borjomi, Annie, and ended up sitting in the icy river more than swimming in the small and crowded pools. I am ever on the lookout for more hot spring opportunities.

~~~~
I have had two meetings in Tbilisi so far, and more to come. It’s tragic because Tbilisi is between 6.5 and 9 hours from my site and between 40 and 60 lari, but glorious because Tbilisi is a wonderful city that I would never otherwise go to because it’s too far. Tbilisi is fun because I can dress up and there are always other volunteers around including ones I haven’t met and there are different types of food and beautiful buildings and tourists that I can speak Arabic with and several cablecars. I also use these opportunities to go to the PC office, where I get most of my mail and books from the library and very useful things from the free bin (All of my envelopes! A real towel! A very large scarf!). Despite all of this, I am dreading the next time I have to go back.

Tbilisi's bathhouse street, aka my 2nd favorite place in Georgia.
Also hummusbar has the best food I've had in Tbilisi and it's vegan ?! (Full disclosure these pics were taken during PST, but still in the summer)
On the way back from one trip to Tbilisi I stopped in Kvishkheti, turning a 9 hour marshutka ride into a 3 and 6 hour one. It was nice and weird to see my PST host family and the village, and I hope to go back again soon because I really want to maintain the relationships that I built there.


Remember these guys? <3 <3
While most of the trips I took this summer were work related or I was tagging along on a trip that someone else planned, there was one wonderful one that was all me. While researching my new site during PST I happened to read in passing about a mountain festival called Shuamtoba in Khulo, a nearby region. All I could find online were some pictures of it and evidence that it had occurred in previous years and may have once been the site of some illegal electioneering. The dearth of information obviously entranced me, and I had to go. I asked my friend Natali at the Keda tourism office about it and she called her Khulo counterpart and confirmed that it would occur during the first week of August, and it would be in a village called Beshumi and not in the town of Khulo. Despite my efforts, this was the most information I could find, until another volunteer happened to go their with her host family and sent me the phone number of a guy I could call to reserve a cabin. I did not reserve a cabin but I did recruit two of my fellow Kedalebi, Daniel and Cherish, to go up with me, a marshutka ride away of an unknown distance.


Marshutka views on the way to Khulo.
We paused in the town of Khulo for a bit after losing Cherish, which provided me with the opportunity to ride one of Georgia’s most scenic and underrated cablecars, and to order a meal that consisted of 7 hotdogs and a cucumber tomato salad. After we found Cherish we stopped to get her a beer after a difficult journey, and there encountered a man who decided that we would be riding in his marshutka to Beshumi. We decided not to argue and were rewarded with a small supra in a lovely field, and all the chacha we didn’t want to drink.


Happy **~~~**
Ugh just look at that cablecar
Daniel, a guy with a marshutka, and some of the most painful chacha I've ever experienced~
Eventually we reached Beshumi and wandered around until we ran into Daniel’s host family, who fed us a delicious meal and helped us find a cabin for the night. Cherish fell down the stairs of the host family’s cabin and sprained her ankle, though we didn’t know it at the time and didn’t let it stop us from our wandering. We had planned to camp if we couldn’t find lodging, but it kept raining. There was definitely not lodging though, since we had decided to come to a popular resort village during it’s most popular weekend. People come up from Adjara and Akhalsitkhe with their children because the dry air is apparently good for their health. The woman who rented us a cabin on the first night didn’t charge us because she felt bad about not having space for the second night, and they had had good experiences with prior PCVs. On the second night Brittany’s host family came back and was kind enough to let us stay in their cabin. I may have learned a lesson about the virtues of advance planning from this, but I’m not sure.


Beshumi has a lot of cabins and not much else
Jenna showed up with her host fam and I made her hike with me
Right before the rain
By the time we got to the actual festival we were already tired and it was hot and sunny above the treeline. We watched a series of very old men (I think one was 94!) dance traditional Georgian dances, and then a lot of other people dance them, and then we saw the head minister of Adjara come and say something. There were balloon sellers and fruit sellers and a lot of people with umbrellas to hide from the sun. There were also mysterious food stands with beautiful displays of local specialties that I could not quite figure out the source or purpose of, but after lingering by one long enough someone offered me a plate and I had some delicious sniori (cheese layered thing) and baklava. The highlight of the day was the horse races, which were the exact opposite of horse races that I have attended in America. They seemed to consist of all the local boys who had horses running in a big circle in a rocky and uneven field, with spectators permitted anywhere they felt safe enough to stand. The majority of the horses didn’t even finish the race, including, tragically, the one that I had bet my 5 lari on.


Mystery food and handicraft stand
The oldest dancer (94!) and a bride who just got married at the festival, awwww
A festival attendee and her pet chicken
The highlight of my festival experience~
I’ve also been to Batumi a few times because I have to go through it anytime I want to go somewhere other than Adjara, and it’s easy to come down and say hello to people rolling through. I go for the beach and the food, and occasionally for the bazaar or the cultural experiences. My best Batumi moment so far was walking to Carrefour and buying ingredients for spaghetti though. And also drinking 20 tetri cups of KVASS. I also went on a tour of the Batumi water company's intake and processing centers by tagging along on a water-company sponsored English camp excursion. It was strange and delightful.


Fun fact: on a water company tour, behind every door is... more water
The apartment facade of my dreams.
My final vacation of the summer was one night in Ureki, otherwise known as the beach with actual sand. Rachel and Dora and I went and buried ourselves in the magnetic sand and late afternoon light. The sand is supposed to have some variety of healing property. There were so many people, but no ATM. I bought pickled herring but it was very slimy and strange. Ureki was peak Georgian tourist town, and I loved it.


The beach with the sand
Also the most beautiful bus stop in the most perfect light
SNAKE UPDATE: My Peace Corps live snake sighting number has been raised to 10.


High quality evidence of one snake, by the family cow shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment