Monday, June 26, 2017

Job Shadowing in Gori

Keep on readin'
A view of Gori's fort (Gorisitkhe) from a churchyard
Several weekends ago I was in Gori for job shadowing, my first time spending more than one night away from site (it was two this time!). I followed around a volunteer that has been here for a year, observing her teaching, working with counterparts, and generally living. Peace Corps gave us a 70 question questionnaire to help guide us in this experience, and I answered... most of it...

Some variety of decaying Soviet-era monument, my favorite.
Stalin's childhood home
Gori is an interesting city - famous for being Stalin's hometown and for being occupied by Russia in 2008. Before Stalin was Stalin, he was Dzhughashvili, and is still the world's most famous Georgian, and he is unexpectedly popular with some Georgians, and loathed by others. Gori is a city that wears its history openly - the Stalin museum has a pretty grand road leading up to it and there are murals and bullet holes to remind one of the 2008 invasion. 

Behind the very new municipal hall in the center of the city there is this unofficial monument to the 2008 war.
Pockmarked, I believe from the war though I'm not sure.
The official 2008 war monument, eerie and ancient, especially in the rain.
A mural featuring real bullet holes from 2008.
It has been fun to see what city life is like - I thought I really wanted to live in a village, but now I think I'm open to pretty much anywhere (that doesn't require me to learn another language in addition to Georgian). The volunteer I'm staying with lives in a tiny apartment across the street from the school she works at, with a host family of one elderly woman. The apartment is very cute, though their water situation is kind of weird - you turn it on with a switch and then it flows from every tap, not just the one you need. It seems a little wasteful but it seems to work for them. I expected city life to have more amenities than village life, but it turns out that in the village there's more space for stuff like a washing machine and a hot water heater, both of which my family has in Kvishkheti but the apartment in Gori did not. There are still grape vines everywhere - sometimes just one lonely one leading up to a balcony, sometimes enough to make it look like we're back in the village and not in an urban environment.

The current volunteer's adorable apartment building
I also had the chance to go with the current volunteer to her pre-service training site in Kvakhvreli, a small town about an hour from Gori that is directly across from an ancient ~*cave city.*~ The volunteer was there to get her old host sisters to sign up for some Peace Corps run summer camps, and I enjoyed seeing life in another village but I was really there for Uplisitkhe. I did not find the informational plaques there extremely useful, since they mostly just had pictures of the caves I was looking at on them, but it was still pretty cool looking and you can read about it here. Unfortunately it is excursion season in Georgia, when children, parents, and teachers from schools all around Georgia go to other places in Georgia and picnic and culture, so the place was crawling with people and we had to fight our way into the church. However, we walked up past the big main attraction caves to the top and there somehow it was just and two German tourists and we could enjoy a peaceful chat overlooking the Mtkvari river and a lot of mountains and forget that there were hundreds upon hundreds of school children roaming just out of site. I'm excited to go on excursions with my school next spring though!

It was also interesting to see a current volunteer at work, and I learned a lot about working with counterparts and how the day to day life of a volunteer might be different in a city and just site by site. For example, the volunteer has a lot of options for other groups to work with in Gori - there are a few organizations that focus on internally-displaced peoples' (IDP) issues, and British and American Corners, as well as a cultural center. She also works at a fairly large school (around 700 students), and it made me want to work at a smaller school, because I feel like it will be easier for me to build relationships with my students and fellow teachers and to work on secondary projects.

Even big cities here feel small, not much urban sprawl and I appreciate that.
After job shadowing I had an extra day in Gori that was ostensibly for travel but Gori is about a 40 minute drive from Khashuri so I just wandered around. In my two days I think I managed to see most of Gori's sites - there's a castle, a 2008 war monument, some recently renovated churches, some thrift stores, a lot of fun Soviet apartment buildings and monuments, and the State Stalin Museum. The Stalin Museum was weird. There were a lot of carpets with pictures of Stalin on them which was unexpected but kind of makes sense if you think about Central Asia enough.

An example Stalin carpet feat. some other guy too
A copy of Stalin's death mask
Annnd a pretty random but of FDR, I think
Gori fortress has been used for centuries and was most recently used in 2008. I don't understand why it's so easy to go into the center though... 


No comments:

Post a Comment